01492 514934 Contact Us


Frequently Asked Questions

We’ve put together answers to some of the most frequently asked questions handled by our sales team. If there’s anything else you want to see added here, or you have any other type of enquiry, fill in our contact form and let us know. We really value your feedback.

How do I reserve a new home?

After your reservation fee has been paid, your new home is reserved for six weeks before we expect to exchange contracts with you. Throughout this period, your new home will be withdrawn from sale and it will not be subject to an increase in price. The reservation fee and deposit are then deducted from the price of your home.

Is the property leasehold or freehold?

All of our properties are freehold – unless they are an apartment, these properties will be sold leasehold.

 What is a freehold house?

There will be an additional cost to purchase a freehold house. If you make this payment when you first buy the house you will become the absolute owner of the property and the land that it is built on. No lease will ever arise which means you will not pay ground rent each year.

What is a leasehold house?

The initial cost of your house will be lower if you buy a leasehold house. We offer 999-year leases at a fixed annual ground rent. There will be no future ground rent increases for the entire term of the lease.

How long will our property be reserved for?

We will reserve your property for six weeks before we expect an exchange of contracts from you.

How much money is required as a reservation fee?

Calon requires a £750 reservation fee for all properties. However, this amount can vary depending upon the purchase price.

What sort of warranty will you provide with my new home?

When you move with Calon, your new home is protected by an NHBC Build mark warranty which gives you a 10-year structural warranty as well as a 2-year fixture and fitting warranty as standard.

What are land registry fees?

This fee is to register your ownership of your Calon home with the Land Registry. The fees you must pay are set by the government.

 Who are independent financial advisors/ mortgage advisors?

These are professionals who will offer independent advice on financial matters to clients and would recommend the most suitable financial product to suit your individual needs.

What is a mortgage valuation?

Prior to approving your mortgage application, your chosen lender will have your chosen property inspected and valued for mortgage purposes for a small fee. In most circumstances, your lender will insist on a survey before agreeing to give you a loan.

Please note that the value the lender puts on the property is a valuation for loan purposes only. The figure of this valuation may not be reflective of the open market value. You must also be aware that if you add additional extras to your home, the full value of these may not be reflected in the value the lender puts on the property.

What do I do if I can’t find a solicitor?

Here at Calon, we work with an experienced panel of solicitors, so if you are struggling to find one, don’t hesitate to contact our sales team and they can send you in the right direction!

How do I reserve a new home?

To reserve your new home you must pay the reservation fee of £750 and fill in the reservation agreement which sets out the key terms of your home. This will withdraw your property from sale and will not be subject to any price increase. Once this fee has been paid your new home is reserved for 6 weeks before we expect to exchange contracts with you.

Do I need to sell my home before I can reserve a Calon home?

If you are reliant on the sale of your home in order to finance your new Calon home then you must have sold your property before you reserve your home. This is to ensure contracts can be exchanged within the 6 week period. If you have not sold your home and wish to buy a new build, we have many offers and incentives to help speed up the selling process of your old home. 

What assisted purchase schemes are available from Calon to help finance the purchase of my new home?

Calon offers a variety of schemes that can assist you in the purchase of your new home including Help to Buy England and Help to Buy Wales. Unfortunately, we do not offer a Part Exchange scheme.

What happens at an exchange of contracts?

At this point, the sale of your new home becomes legally binding to both parties. A deposit is payable and you should be well on your way toward completion of your new home.

 What is the legal completion?

This is where ownership of the home passes across to the new owner. This may also sometimes be referred to as the ‘handover’. 

Who are the NHBC?

The National House Building Council commonly referred to as the NHBC is the UK’s leading standard-setting body and provider of warranty and insurance for new homes. They work with the house-building industry to raise the standards of new homes and to provide consumer protection for homebuyers. This gives you added reassurance when you buy your new home. Click here for more information.

What is a mortgage?

Most people will take out a mortgage, or a loan in order to purchase their house. A mortgage is a loan that is secured on your home. It is a legal agreement by which a bank, building society or outside party lends money at interest in exchange for taking the title of the debtor’s property. There are many different types of mortgages available and you should speak to your Independent Financial Adviser (IFA) in order to discuss the best mortgage option for you.

Can I reserve a property before it is released for sale?

Unfortunately, you are not able to reserve a property before it is released for sale. However, you can advise the onsite Homes Advisor of your interest in a particular plot. We can then let you know when the plot is released for Sale.

Do I need to make an appointment to visit the show home or sales centre?

It is not necessary to make an appointment at the sales centre, however, if you wish to discuss something with our homes adviser in detail, we would recommend calling in advance to ensure the show home is not busy. You can also book an appointment via our get in touch page. Otherwise, please feel free to visit our sales centres anytime during opening hours.

What is the Consumer Code?

The Consumer Code for Home Builders (“the Code”) is an industry-led scheme which gives protection and rights to purchasers of new homes, ensuring that new Home Buyers are treated fairly and are fully informed about their purchase before and after they sign the contract. If you have any questions about the purchase process or quality of your new home, please contact Calon Homes in the first instance, (via email; customer-care@calon.co.uk). If you do need more information about the Code, or their Dispute Resolution Service, please refer to their dedicated website. However, please follow the Calon Homes Complaints Process in the first instance, as we will be more than likely able to answer your question or resolve your complaint.


Useful Resources

Download A Brochure

Discover your dream home! It’s time to explore our new stunning developments with our free downloadable brochure.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

arrow_downarrow_leftarrow-next arrow-prev arrow_rightarrow-top-rightbath-tub bed bell bookbrochure buy-to-let buyers-guidecalendar CF25B39C-8833-4443-BFFB-832A20E3870B central-heatingcertificatechatCommunityConnectivitycrossdiary_management diningdiscounts dishwashereducationemailenergy-efficiencyEstate-Agents extractor-hoodfaqs Financial fridge-freezergas-hobgraphhelp-to-buy home-specHospitality house Housing industry-leadingleisurelightinglink-arrow link local-amenitiesLocationlogo-calonlogo-maes-y-felin logo-silver-birches magnifier-glyph-16mail Make It Your Ownmap-pin Outstanding Customer Serviceovenphone-call-o phone-call play-circleAsset 1pound Qualityroof-insultationshoppingsocial_facebooksocial_googleplussocial_instagramsocial_linkedin_altsocial_linkedinsocial_pinterestlogo-twitter-glyph-32social_youtubestar Sustainabilityticktransportwall-insulation